Intentional: Part Three. September 28, 2014
Review of verse 6:
Elders and Pastors MUST:
-Be blameless (above reproach)
-Be a “one-woman-man”
-“Manage his household well”
A Standard for Sinners
How do we hold fast to the standard of Titus 1 for Pastors and Elders when we are and always will be dealing will sinful humans?
When you look at the whole picture of an elder’s life, he should be characterized by being blameless before God.
5 Behaviors Elders Should Avoid
1) An Elder must not be “overbearing” (arrogant, self-pleasing)
2) An Elder must not be “quick tempered”
3) An Elder must not be “given to drunkenness”
4) An Elder must not be “violent” (pugnacious, a ‘striker’)
5) An Elder must not be one who “pursues dishonest gain”
*The central issue of verse 7 is self-control and self-discipline