The side note, ‘Religion Defined’, can be found here.
Religion defined (the difference between religion and the gospel):
-Religion is about me.
-The gospel is about Jesus.
Why Religion Cannot Produce Godliness: 3 Reasons
1) Religion emphasizes obeying the rules rather than heart-transformation.
– Religion is so focused on policing long lists of do’s and don’ts that the root problems of the heart are totally neglected.
“Run, John, run, the law commands, but gives us neither feet nor hands. Far better news the gospel brings: It bids us fly and gives us wings.” ~John Bunyan
2) Religion uses God.
– In religion, God is reduced to a way to get you what you ultimately want.
3) Religion leads to the opposite of Godliness.
-Instead of gratefulness, religion produces pride
– Instead of worshipping God and using things, religion leads you to use God and worship things
– Instead of hating sin, religion teaches people to negotiate with it
3 Evaluation Questions:
-What do the teachers you listen to emphasize?
-Are you unwittingly teaching your children religion instead of the gospel?
-Do you see evidence of God changing you?