1 Corinthians 11:17-29
1) Communion Proclaims the Gospel
-The elements tell the story of Jesus sacrifice on our behalf.
-Taking communion is a physical reminder of Jesus’ death; they “proclaim the Lord’s death until He returns”.
2) Communion Causes Us to Remember Christ
– Whenever we hold those small physical reminders of what Christ did for us on the cross, we are reminded of what Jesus went through.
-“Remembering” means more than recollection of historical facts.
– Communion is intended to engage both the mind and the heart; it’s more than an intellectual exercise.
3) Communion is a Call to Love
-Paul pens this passage precisely because people were failing to love; the rich Corinthians ate their fill while people right next to them in church went hungry.
-Paul commended this loveless behavior because it contradicts the meaning of the Lord’s Supper.
-It is impossible to rightly understand the physical symbols of Christ’s death for the Church while denying by your actions that Christ died for those who need help right around you.